Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bruges


What's the first thing that comes to mind when I say 'Belgium'? Chocolate? Chips? Waffles? Beer? Well the truth is, that that's exactly what Belgium's like. Here's some evidence:

Waffles.
Chips.
(That's the sign for the Friet Museum which teaches you all about the history, manufacture and indeed the art of the French Fry.)

Beer. (Bruges Zot, the local drop)
And chocolate
They have quite a nifty little chocolate museum in Bruges too where you can watch a demonstration of chocolate making. To be honest, I was more amazed by the way the chocolatier was explaining what he was doing simultaneously in three languages.


What I wasn't expecting from Belgium was a turn on a Segway :-) The guy behind me in the photo runs Segway tours around the city and let me have a go as a promo. It was awesome. Maybe I'll see if I can have my groomsmen arrive on them ;-)

And speaking of things technological check out this vending machine. Now, we've been to Japan which is the motherland of automated food and beverage delivery, but this takes the cake. It's nothing short of a robotic 24-hour convenience store. And don't think it's just Mars bars and Coke, there was everything from bread to cheeseburgers to kitchen roll.

No comments: