Monday, April 6, 2009

Brighton (and Hove)

OK, so our last UK trip was to the seaside. Hooray for pebble beaches! My cousin lives down in Hove so we went for a weekend to visit. We waited until the end of March in the hope that the weather would be a bit nicer and the sun definitely came out on Saturday but you can tell by the clothes and the very ominous looking clouds that it was not exactly summery yet. Not to mention the large balls of ice that fell from the sky later that afternoon.


We walked from Richard's house along the seafront down to Brighton. We grabbed a gelato along the way (hey we are at the beach right?) and then we stopped in a penny arcade which had a huge selection of vintage arcade games. You actually had to swap your cash for old pennies so you could play them. It was really cool. I couldn't resist the fortune teller woman like in the movie Big. Anyway, here's a picture of Richard with my fortune. You probably can't read it but the last line warned me to "be wary of men with beards". haha


Next we moved on to the doughnut for a few photos. What Nathanael is pointing at is actually a hole in the shape of Australia.



After taking some pictures of crazy British people laying on the beach in their winter clothes we moved on to Brighton Pier.

We then proceeded to waste money on those 20 cent like machines. Only these ones took 2p or 10p coins. Nate and Richard also had a go at killing some zombies and then it was time for Dolphin Derby! Richard had told me about this one before we got down there so I was looking forward to it. Basically you all sit in front of the game and roll balls into different holes which are worth different points (does that make sense?). The higher points make your dolphin move further.

Anyway, I was concentrating so hard on the first go but going really slowly because I didn't know what I was doing. Next thing you know, I look up and Flipper Dipper (my dolphin) is winning!! Anyway, here's a pic of me and the shark that I won.

Nate managed to get himself a yoyo. Unfortunately he wasn't skilled enough to win dolphin derby like some people. haha


On Sunday Richard took us up to a very windy Devil's Dyke. Here's a picture of Nate looking out over the South Downs (or maybe he's looking at the North Downs?). Either way it was very picturesque and I got to see heaps of gypsies on the way up there so that made my day as I've been waiting to see gypsies for ages.


After that there was just time for a proper Sunday lunch complete with delicious chocolate bread and butter pudding that I probably shouldn't have eaten. It was tasty though.


No comments: