Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Crocs, 'gators and manatees - Part 1

Our next stop after Orlando was Florida City which we only stayed at as a way of getting close to the Everglades national park. For those of you who don't know and can't be bothered googling, it's an area that looks like a bayou or swamp but is actually a really, really slow moving river delta (or that's what I remember the park ranger saying, though my memory is often flawed).

There's a huge variety of wildlife in the everglades and I've put up a couple of photos of some of the more common stuff. My apologies for the formatting of the pics; I just can't get them where I want them. We were there in Florida's dry season, when the water is a lot lower, which explains the abundance of 'gators in one place. Those big black birds are buzzards (aka black vultures).

The ugly turtle is a Florida soft-shelled turtle. At first he was just a head in the water which looked really weird, but then he came out to bask and posed for a bunch of photos.

Our morning was spent walking a couple of very short trails admiring the wildlife, and the afternoon was spent paddling canoes, but I'll put up those pictures in Part 2.

TTFN!











No comments: